Let's talk about gold-filled jewelry. What is gold-filled & why do I use it in my pieces?
Gold-filled is a USA industry standard that legally requires 1/20th, or 5% pure gold by weight. It’s a very strictly regulated process that involves pressure bonding multiple layers of solid gold over a core of high quality jeweler’s brass resulting in a durable, quality real gold product. With proper care, these pieces can last anywhere from 10-30 years. I choose to use gold-filled rather than gold-plated because the plating can wear off even with proper care, & gold-filled allows me to offer top-of-the-line, quality gold jewelry - at an affordable price! This thick outer layer of gold makes it highly durable and safe for people with allergies or sensitive skin as well. The best way to care for these pieces are:
- cleanse with mild soap (only if needed)
- polish with a soft cloth - an eyeglass chamois works really well!
- don't sleep in your jewelry - chains can get snagged on pajamas or bedclothes
- don't shower in your jewelry - while its safe to get wet, the cleanser you use for your body shouldn't be used on your jewelry
- apply lotions, parfums, & colognes prior to putting on your jewelry - the oils can dull the shine of your gold